Choosing the right doors for your building project is an essential decision that should not be taken lightly. Whether it’s a house, a granny flat, a home office or a commercial building, selecting the right internal and external doors can enhance the overall aesthetic appeal, security, and functionality of your space.
In this blog, we’ll explore the different types of doors, materials, and factors you should consider when selecting the right internal and external doors for your building project. The team at King Truss is here to make your building project a success!
How to Choose the Right Doors for Your Building
When selecting internal and external doors for your building project, there are a variety of factors to consider. These factors can impact the overall aesthetic appeal, functionality, and security of your space. Here’s a closer look at the key factors to consider for both internal doors and external doors:
- Purpose: The purpose of the room should be considered when selecting internal doors. For example, a bedroom may require a door with good sound insulation for privacy, while a living room may benefit from a door with a glass panel to allow natural light to flow through.
- Material: The material of the internal door can greatly impact its durability and aesthetic. Solid doors are popular for their natural warmth and beauty and thermal efficient properties, while hollow core doors are lightweight and cost-effective but may not provide as much sound insulation.
- Style: The style of the door should complement the overall design of your space. Consider the architectural style of your building and select doors that match the aesthetic. For example, a traditional home may require more decorative styles such as panelled doors, while a modern interior may benefit from sleek, minimalist designs.
- Size: The size of the door should be proportional to the room. Too small or too large of a door can impact the overall flow and balance of the space.
- Maintenance: Consider the maintenance required for each material. Timber veneer doors may require regular oiling or staining to maintain their appearance, while MDF doors are easier to clean and maintain.
- Accessibility: If accessibility is a concern, consider selecting doors that are wider and easier to operate. For example, sliding doors can be a great option for people with mobility issues or for spaces where swinging doors are impractical.
- Fitting: Proper fitting is essential for internal doors to operate smoothly and provide good sound insulation. Make sure to take accurate measurements and choose doors that are the right size for your door frames.
- Material: The material of the external door should be strong, durable, and able to withstand weather conditions. Solid doors provide a traditional look and feel, while aluminium and steel doors offer a sleek and modern appearance.
- Energy Efficiency: Energy-efficient external doors can help reduce energy bills and maintain a comfortable temperature within your building. Look for doors with insulating cores and weather seals to prevent air leakage and drafts.
- Security: Your external doors should be strong and durable to deter intruders. Consider features such as locking systems, door frames, and reinforced glass. Deadbolts and security screens can also enhance the security of your doors.
- Style: The style of the external door should complement the architectural style of your building. Consider factors such as colour, design, and hardware when selecting external doors.
- Maintenance: Consider the maintenance required for each material. Timber veneer doors may require regular oiling or staining, while MDF doors are generally low maintenance.
- Accessibility: For external doors, it’s important to consider accessibility for people with disabilities. Look for doors with lower thresholds and wide openings to accommodate mobility aids.
- Fitting: Proper fitting is essential for external doors to provide good insulation and security. Make sure to take accurate measurements and choose doors that fit snugly in the door frames.
- Longevity: External doors are exposed to weather conditions, which can impact their longevity. Consider materials that are weather-resistant and require minimal maintenance to ensure the doors last for years to come.
Create the Perfect Space with Popular Door Styles
King Truss provides a selection of door types and styles that can help you create a truly unique space, with options that cater to just about every style and taste. Here are a few of the most popular styles:
- Panelled Doors: Panelled doors are a traditional style that features a number of raised or recessed panels. These doors are popular for their classic look and can be found in a variety of materials, including timber veneer and MDF.
- French Doors: French doors are a classic style that features two doors that open outwards from the centre. These doors are often made from glass, allowing natural light to flow through and provide a spacious feel. French doors are a popular choice for connecting indoor and outdoor spaces, such as a living room and a patio.
- Sliding Doors: Sliding doors are a great option for spaces where swinging doors are impractical. These doors slide open along a track and can be made from a variety of materials, including timber, aluminium, and glass. Sliding doors are popular for their sleek and modern look.
- Pre-Hung Doors: Pre-hung doors are doors that come already attached to the frame, making installation easier and faster. These doors can be found in a variety of styles, including panelled, glazed, and timber veneer.
- Barn Doors: Barn doors are a popular option for adding a rustic or country-style touch to a space. These doors slide open along a track and are a great option for spaces where traditional swinging doors may take up too much space.
- Swinging Doors: Swinging doors are a classic style that is hinged on one side and swings open and closed. These doors can be found in a variety of materials and styles, including panelled, glazed, and timber veneer. Swinging doors are a great option for spaces where privacy and noise reduction are important.
Keep Reading: 3 Reasons to Use LVLs in Your Next Build
Choose the Right Doors with King Truss
Choosing the right internal and external doors for your building project is an important decision that can greatly impact the overall look and feel of your space. At King Truss, we offer a wide range of doors in a variety of styles and materials to suit your specific needs and preferences. Whether you’re looking for traditional panelled doors or modern sliding doors, our team of experts can help guide you through the selection process and ensure that you choose doors that meet your needs and enhance the overall design of your building project.
To view our door ranges and options in person, we invite you to visit our facility in Caloundra. Alternatively, you can contact the King Truss team to find out more about our products and services. We look forward to helping you choose the perfect doors for your building project!